Installing SolidWorks is simple! Make sure you follow the below instructions exactly to obtain the program on your device. BE PATIENT! THIS IS A LARGE FILE AND WILL TAKE TIME FOR FILES TO OPEN.
- SolidWorks is approximately 20GB in size. You will need at least 30GB of space available (after uninstalling an old version of SolidWorks if necessary) to successfully install the 2020 version of SolidWorks.
- Uninstall any version of SolidWorks you have currently installed. You can do this by opening your Start menu and typing "uninstall" in the search/Cortana bar, and selecting Uninstall a Program.
- You will be taken to an alphabetical list of programs. Find and click on SolidWorks once to select it, then click on Uninstall in the menu at the top of the list.
- When the Uninstall box appears, click on Change, then check the boxes labeled Registry Entries and Data Records. Then click on Back to Summary and then Remove. Don't worry, your project files will be saved.
- If asked if you would like to deactivate your license, select NO. Then select YES to continue the installation.
- The uninstall process will begin. If you are asked to stop installation and restart your computer first, do so. Then log back in as localmgr and start over at Step 4.
- When the uninstall is finished, close the window.
- Open File Explorer and Navigate to \\rose-hulman.edu\dfs\software\course software\Solidworks 2020 SP3.0\ If prompted log in with your Rose-Hulman credentials.
- Double click Install.hta and select Yes.
- Authenticate with your localmgr account to install the application. You may also be asked to provide you RHIT network account for access to DFS.
- The installer will start. This will show as a black window that needs to stay open. Depending on network speed it make take up to 5 minutes before the install window shows.
- The application install will take a long time to complete. In testing it took approximately 5 hours
When the installation is finished, exit the window and open SolidWorks 2020 from your desktop. You will need to activate it. You do this by:
- Selecting Activate now using the internet
- Click Next
- Click Finish
- Click Accept
If you have any issues with the above instructions or during the install process, please contact the EIT Service Desk at x8989, emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org, or visiting us in the lower level of Crapo Hall between the hours of 8am--5pm Monday to Friday.