Have you ever typed a web address in an Internet browser only to receive an error? Have you ever visited a website and been unable to view an image or video because you did not have the correct software? These basic troubleshooting tips can often help you access troublesome web pages:
- Ensure that you typed the full web address in correctly including http, www etc. Typing the web address incorrectly can cause you to not find any web page or be redirected to a page you did not wish to go to. For example Rose-Hulman’s website is only accessible when lead with www.
- Open a new web browser and try to access the website again. Many times the website will open in a different browser. For example, websites that use java will not be successful using the Google Chrome browser or Microsoft Edge browser as Google Chrome and Microsoft Edge no longer support Java. Google Chrome, Internet Explorer, Edge and Mozilla Firefox are four popular browsers to try when testing troublesome web pages.
- Verify that you have the most current version of the web browser you are using. Web browsers are periodically updated and certain web pages may not support older versions. If you do not have the most current version of the web browser you are using, you can usually find available updates in the browser’s settings.
- Certain websites may require you to have a particular software to view website content. Adobe Reader and Java are two examples of outside software that may need to be installed to use a web page successfully.
- Sometimes, it is possible to access the main web page but not certain links. If this is the case and the other troubleshooting tips have failed, try to find a FAQ sections for the website. There is a good possibility that someone else has had the same problem that you are having. The web page may have documentation posted regarding work around tips for this issue.
For additional help or questions, please visit the Service Desk located in the lower level of Crapo Hall between 8 am and 5 pm. You can also send an email to email@example.com
Author: Jessica Stebing